Junior Chamber International offers a variety of competitions aimed at improving members’ skills in the areas of speaking, writing, and debate. Competitions are held semi-annually at state sponsored events. Top performers in these competitions move on to National competitions and, from there, compete at the International level.
Why not try your hand at a variety of events, including speaking, writing, interviewing, and debate? There’s no better time than now to improve your skills.
Competitions will take place on Friday, August 2, from 7:30-9:30 p.m., as part of the 2019 Mid-Year Convention (August 2 – 4, 2019, in Greensboro). Even if you are not competing, we encourage members and guests to attend in order to support participants and learn more about the competition program.
- Speak Up – 2019 Mid-Year Convention
- Write Up – 2019 Mid-Year Convention
- Debate – 2019 Mid-Year Convention
(To view past topics for Speak Up, Write Up and Debate, check the links at the bottom of this page.)
Current chapter presidents and state officers compete in the Master’s category and all others compete in the Regular category. Topics include Speak Up, Write Up, and Debate :
- Speak Up. Prepare a 4-6 minute speech based on the topic specified on the registration form. Takes place twice a year, usually in July and January prior to conventions, or at conventions.
- Write Up. Prepared Write Up is a 500-word essay (maximum) on the topic specified on the registration form. Takes place twice a year, usually in July and January prior to conventions, or at conventions. Writers are judged on content, theme development, conclusion, grammar, neatness, spelling, and format.
- Policy Debate. Teams of 3 will compete in this competition. Only one Master’s level competitor on a team. Takes place twice a year, usually in July and January prior to conventions, or at conventions.
Mid-Year Convention – August 2018
Year-End Convention – Jan. 2018
Mid-Year Convention – July 2017